- Name: Alexa Fukuoka
- Location: Fukuoka, Japan
I am currently the International PR Representative for Startup City Fukuoka. This role has allowed me to interview innovators, create content for every aspect of a city-sponsored website, and connect with startups around the world. In addition to this role as it is only part-time, I’m able to advise startups and freelance for several incredible businesses.
"She seems to be able to find the white space that exists in the organization and takes the initiative to connect those disjoint pieces. Additionally she has the perspective and takes ownership of issues to ensure they are getting done, with little to no direction."
- Rob (Manager)
"Wow...now that's what I call great customer service!...Keep up the great service."
- Anna (Customer Service)
"Alexa's performance exceeded all expectations and I know from past experience of working with her that she is a top and dedicated performer...One of Alexa's strengths is her ability to be proactive, stay on top of tasks, and deliver on-time."
- Palma (Manager)
Senior Relationship Manager
June 2018 -
As Relationship Manager for Platin™, I help to build strong connections with our community as well as Platin™ partners. A few of my responsibilities include:
- Relationship Manager – I guide collaborators through the process of engagement with our team.
- Community Manager – Through creating clear communications for our social channels, I engage with the public and help them understand just how much they can achieve using Platin™.
- Content Creator – I develop original and engaging content to educate people about Platin™ and break down the barriers that exist when adopting new technology.
U.S. Consulate of Fukuoka
October 2018 -
Recipient of Grant – Opportunities for Leading English Education Programs in Kyushu/Yamaguchi Region
Co-presenter for a three-session workshop sponsored on the following topics:
- Session 1: Networking and Digital Professionalism
- Session 2: Crafting a Resume
- Session 3: How to Interview
Startup City Fukuoka
International PR Representative
May 2017 -
I work closely with startup founders, employees, and enthusiasts to create a global awareness of Fukuoka’s startup community. From interviewing founders for Facebook videos to writing in-depth company profiles, I work to make our startups shine on the global stage. Below is some of the content that I have created for Startup City Fukuoka.
- Startup City Fukuoka – I create all of the content and articles for this site (visit the site).
- Matchup Fukuoka – I revised many of this site’s profiles to create native-level English profiles from translated drafts (visit the site).
- Startup City Fukuoka Facebook – I help to manage the organization’s Facebook page (visit the page).
As a result of my work in this role, I have also been given the opportunity to work on the Fukuoka Smart East initiative. I created a tagline and brief project summary for Fukuoka Mayor Takashima to present at international events.
Disability Awareness Advocate
I’m also a passionate disability advocate. Below are a few of the articles that I’ve written about living with limited vision.
- Practicing Yoga in Japan Changed My Outlook on Going Blind Article for Tokyo Yoga – click to read
- Blog Manager for Userway.org – click to read
- Traveling to Vietnam and Cambodia Article for Disability Horizons – click to read
- Backpacking in Burma Article for Disability Horizons – click to read
- Becoming an Expat in Japan Article for Disability Horizons – click to read
Content Consultant & Creator
December 2015 -
In the wide world of freelance content creation, there are a lot of interesting opportunities. I’ve tried to diversify my experience to ensure I’m prepared to understand the unique needs of different organizations. Don’t just take my word for it – see what my clients have to say here.
Below are a few of my areas of expertise.
- Internal communications plans and custom Intranets.
- Communications strategies and content plans for new companies.
- Content for existing and planned websites.
- Blog content for a variety of audiences.
- Speeches and presentations for personal and professional events.
- Project plans and communications.
- Professional communications for C-Level execuitives.
I particularly love taking a piece of lackluster content and transforming it into something compelling that flows well. Revising complex documents for concision and clarity is how I got my start, and I still enjoy the challenge.
Media Coordinator & Head of Content
December 2015 -
This role allowed me to help a growing startup create their organizational voice, define content goals, and build their overall brand. I helped to create the foundational content that the company used (and in some cases still uses) to pitch their vision to new clients and potential investors at international events.
Edanz Group (Japan Office)
Marketing and Content Specialist
June 2014 -
As the Marketing and Content Specialist, I helped this global team unite its onsite staff and remote employees. I also worked to unify internal and external communications while helping to boost the company’s outreach efforts. In this position I was tasked with:
- Crafting a social media strategy
- Strengthening communications among international offices
- Creating marketing materials
- Developing communications strategies
- Developing PR materials
- Creating weekly and monthly internal newsletters
The Software Engineering Institute’s Emerging Technology Center
July 2013 -
I was brought over to the newly formed SEI Emerging Technology Center in July of 2013 to help them develop an internal and external content strategy. In this role, I managed the following tasks:
- Acted as the point-of-contact for all Center communications/
- Built an internal and external web presence using CommonSpot, SharePoint, and Wiki.
- Created a print media campaign to showcase the Center to potential customers.
- Wrote and edited all print and web materials for the technical staff.
- Developed a branding and messaging concept.
The Software Engineering Institute’s Director’s Office
Senior Technical Editor
January 2012 -
I began my term in this rotating position with the Director’s Office in January of 2012. My role was to provide sole editorial support for CEO, COO, and CTO. While in this role I accomplished the following:
- Produced over 50 executive speeches
- Led the design and execution of a communications strategy for Institute reorganization
- Managed daily document editing requests from programs
- Worked across programs to develop cohesive Institute-wide documents
- Produced copy for and developed promotional materials such as pamphlets and postcards
- Compiled and edited technical documents with strict deadlines
- Worked with authors to improve document clarity and quality
- Created, improved, and documented procedures
- Assisted in planning and executing executive meetings
I also teamed with the Organizational Effectiveness Group to assist with workforce development activities in support of the strategic direction of the organization. These projects included:
- Organizing an Institute-wide Research Review event and creating a companion information booklet
- Establishing a New Employee Onboarding Program and creating a companion sourcebook
The Software Engineering Institute’s CERT Program
January 2011 -
During my time as a technical editor for the CERT Division, I worked on the following:
- Co-authored two US-CERT Informational Papers
- Primary editor of CERT/CC and Insider Threat blogs
- Edited documents, slides, marketing materials, articles, and papers
- Worked closely with authors to improve documents from an editorial perspective
- Wrote reference documents for communications team members
I held this position as an intern from May 2009 until December 2010 when I was hired full-time.
Carnegie Mellon University
MA Professional Writing
- Graduated from CMU’s MAPW 4+1 accelerated masters program
- Final QPA: 3.8
Carnegie Mellon University
BA in Professional Writing
- Member of Lambda Sigma Honor Society (Fall 2006/Spring 2007)
- Dozzi Summer Internship Scholarship Winner (Summer 2007)
- Member of Phi Kappa Phi Honors Society (Spring 2008)
- Division of International Programs Scholarship (Summer 2008)
- H&SS Study Abroad Scholarship (Summer 2008)
- Undergraduate Representative for H&SS College Council (Fall 2008)
- Graduated with Carnegie Mellon University Honors (Spring 2009)
- Final QPA: 3.7 (Spring 2009)
- University of Pittsburgh Katz School of Business, Project Management Institute Completing coursework towards a Certificate in Project Management Courses completed:
- Project Management Overview (1/21/2014)
- Project Scope and Quality Management (3/14/2014)
- Mediabistro Speechwriting Course (3/4/2013 – 4/4/2013)
- “The 2012 Speechwriters and Executive Communicators Conference”
(4/14/2012 – 4/16/2012)
- SharePoint 2010 Workshop (10/27/2011)
Fukuoka City Government, International Coordination
"I work with Alexa in my Government job as International Coordinator, and she always works very quickly and produces work that exceeds our expectations. It is our pleasure to work with her.”
Happy Marketer, Director of Digital Transformation Consulting
"Alexa's dedication to her craft, clarity of thought and simplicity of expression makes her an asset to anybody looking for a content creator. I've learnt a lot from her ability to contextualize content to cater to a varied culture and audience."
Team AIBOD, Designer
"Alexa is like a breath of fresh air. She comes to work with a great magnitude of knowledge and experience that she uses to guide projects on their best possible course with efficiency and focus. Working with her on a variety of products has been a positive, professional, learning experience."
Writing About Technology You Can’t Use
Spoiler: it’s tough.
When I was in my early 20’s, the ability to see in 3D became a thing of the past for me. I’d lost a few pretty important eye functions through some sight-saving surgery (ye